Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fire Your Yellow Pages Ad - Google SEO vs Yellow Pages

 

seo google places vs yellow pages ad seo marketing

I notice too often, when I ask about marketing that companies tell me "I have a Yellow Pages Ad." Oh, wow, very impressive; so does everyone and their brother!

I usually ask these questions when they tell me that:

  • When was the last time you picked up that big heavy yellow book? (Recently for me- I was throwing it in the trash.)
  • When was the last time you found a business by Yellow Pages?

Most people can't recall the answer to either. The next question they always know though.

Now, for the golden question.. When was the last time you used Google? For most people it's several times a day.

In 2007, Search Engine Land said "Yellow Pages will be toast in 4 years." It's 2011, and I'm confirming their prediction.

Google is the new Yellow Pages!! I'm not telling you to run out and start setting up ads with Google AdWords. Because an overwhelming amount of search engine users DO NOT CLICK PAID LISTINGS.

You want organic seo results. Organic meaning, highly ranked without being a paid ad.

We live in a very digital age, everyone has a website, a smart phone and probably more than 1 computer in the house. 

Get with the times, build a website, claim your Google Places page, claim your business page on Yelp!, start uploading articles, exchanging links, and making your website ranked well in local search results.

Drew Poland is a small business consultant who specializes in web development, and search engine optimization. You can view his seo consulting site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment